Preaching Pits were places of outdoor worship, in common use from the 18th century, that were constructed taking advantage of existing depressions in the ground caused by mining activity.
Indian Queens Pit is a non-conformist preaching pit that is protected as a Scheduled Monument. It was built at a time when the local people keenly anticpated a visit from John Wesley (founder of the Methodist Church) and was opened by local preacher Capt. Elvins of Retew in 1850, being called the “Indian Queens United Wesleyan Sunday School Amphitheatre.”
In 1920 a number of local chapel folk formed a consortium to buy the Pit which was purchased for £60. It remained in use for regular Sunday School anniversaries and other events until the summer of 1970. after which it became overgrown and unused. Work began to bring the Pit back into use in June 1976, and after two years work, which included the construction of seating along the northern edge of the monument, it was officially reopened in 1978.
The Pit is owned by a group of Trustees, who organise musical and community events in the Pit every year.
As there is tiered seating, please keep an eye on very young children.
You will need a password to log this cache.
From the information board by the pit entrance, find the year that the preaching platform and tiered seating were shown on the OS map. Enter these numbers as the password.
N 50° 23.463'
W 04° 55.842'