From Wikipedia ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torquay_railway_station )
A railway station serving Torquay had been opened by the South Devon Railway on 18 December 1848, but this station was on the hill distant from the town centre and harbour. A new station near Abbey Sands was opened by the Dartmouth and Torbay Railway on 2 August 1859 when the original station was renamed Torre.
Goods traffic continued to be handled at the original station, the new one retaining a more genteel atmosphere with just passengers, their horse and carriages.
The Dartmouth and Torbay Railway was always operated by the South Devon Railway and was amalgamated with it on 1 January 1872. This was only short lived as the South Devon Railway was in turn amalgamated into the Great Western Railway on 1 February 1876.
The present station buildings date from 1878 when new facilities were opened. A small signal box was opened at each end of the station at the same time, that at the Paignton end now being rented out as an office.
This cache was originally listed on GC.com as GC1A2Y7, now OC only.
- Total distance: 1710 km