A substantial reservoir with an earth embankment dam in South Lanarkshire, Camps began operating in 1930 and is located 3 miles (5 km) east of the settlement of Crawford and 11 miles (18 km) north northwest of Moffat. It is the source of the Camps Water, a tributary of the River Clyde. Now operated by Scottish Water for the supply of drinking-water, it covers an area of 78.8 ha (194 acres). It also provides a recreational fishery and the Clyde Wind Farm is spread over the hills surrounding the reservoir.
The construction of Camps reservoir was undertaken by German prisoners of war in the First World War. German soldiers, other than officers and senior NCOs, could be put to work that did not directly further the prosecution of the war. The camp which housed them is included in the 1919 'List of Places of Internment' in Britain, its colonies and dominions.
The location of the camp is not known but it is likely to have occupied one of the terraces of the Camps Water, downstream from the dam site. The image shows the best guess at the location.
The cache is located away from the road leading to the reservoir. Please do not drive to the cache, vehicles are only allowed under permit.
Parking suggestion - N55 29.148 W3 35.783