The largest of Haytor quarries is now partly flooded and provides a home for dragonflies, frogs, waterlilies, goldfish and the odd adder or two.
It was mainly worked from the 1820's to the 1860's, the granite being transported on a granite tramway to the Stover canal near Bovey Tracey and then on to Teignmouth. The granite was used in the building of The British Museum and London Bridge (now in Arizona). The last quarrying at Haytor was in 1919 when it was reopened to build the Exeter War Memorial. An old winch and parts of a derrick can still be seen.
Information from http://www.ilsingtonparish.co.uk/quarry.htm
|Interesujące miejsce||---||Suggested route - through this gate to the quarry.|